Thursday, April 12

L.A. Ell

L.A. Ell is one of the most interesting people I know. Amongst many, many other things, she is a fantastic artist, knitter, and crocheter. She loves to share her interests in music, arts, food, anything kitsch, and the cultural history of Los Angeles through her blog "L.A. is my Beat".

Ellen's latest project is her Crochet car. Ellen was amazed to discover that "CROCHET" wasn't taken for personalized license plates in California. So, she ordered them up. Would you believe that I checked into Washington and found the same thing? I just don't think SkaDaddy-o is hip to paying an additional $35/year for a fancy plate on top of our already spendy registration bill.
Anyway, she ordered up the plates and is fixing to costume the headrests in Granny squares, something Ellen has always said are the "building blocks to fashion".

I was actually privileged to ride in her old car with the more muted headrest covers seen here.

If you live in, or plan on traveling to, L.A. you must meet Ellen. You can find her at the regular WeHo (West Hollywood) Stitch n Bitch which meets on the top floor of the Original Farmers Market on Thursday evenings at 7 pm. You'll be pleasantly surprised to meet lots of interesting people there as well.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Oregon has a 6-letter limit on licence plates. Guess I'm going to have to learn to knit!

Bonehand said...

$35 is a small price to pay for such crochet prestige . Go for it.

Julie said...

Megan - I believe "CROCHE" is either french or portugese for crochet, but I also think it has something to do with antlers or boat parts.

Bone - Hmmmm. I may need to reconsider.